Systematic efforts to educate healthcare and allied health professionals contribute toward the goals of better alcohol screening and intervention for women at risk for an alcohol-exposed pregnancy and identification and treatment for individuals living with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASDs).
The FASD Competency-Based Curriculum Development Guide for Medical and Allied Health Education and Practice is designed to improve prevention, identification, and management of FASDs and can be used to develop educational programs and materials in a range of formats based on the needs of learners.
The Curriculum Guide includes the following 7 Competencies:
- Alcohol Use Disorders
- Alcohol Screening and Brief Intervention
- Biological Effects of Alcohol on the Fetus
- Screening, Diagnosis, and Assessment for Treatment Planning
- Treatment Across the Life Span for Persons with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders
- Ethical, Legal, and Policy Issues